For so long, I have used the word "overwhelmed" in conjunction with stressful situations in my life. This morning, I am absolutely overwhelmed by God's kindness - demonstrated through so many people and circumstances in our lives the past few days.
Just a few days ago, I was discouraged. The van loan that was denied, plus several other situations - made for a rough week.
Remember the vision that died for the Honda Odyssesey? Believe it or not, it is sitting in our driveway this morning!
It is a quiet and peaceful Sunday morning. I treasure these quiet times in the morning with the Lord as I meet Him on the gazebo. He never fails to meet me here - although many mornings I fail Him by being too busy and not showing up. This morning was sweet. We attended Ikiru's concert last night in which they played their song's from the book of Job. (the band is made up of Adam Langdon, Caleb's brother in law - and Issac and Ethan Barton.) It was amazing...absolutely amazing. The lyric's, drum rhythms - guitar - organ, it all blended together to make an evening of worship and enjoyment of music. So...I found myself reading Job this morning. Wow. Job loses me in the very first chapter, because he was an upright and blameless man. We can never compare our circumstances to Job's.
But - they have been challenging. As quickly as things went down hill this week, they began to turn uphill. On Thur. morning - Dan found out that Huntington would consider our loan for the van with Mom being primary on the title, Dan being secondary. His conference call came shortly after that. The contract appears to be agreed upon! He should have his first check by next week. On Thurs. afternoon Mom began the process. It was approved, and we were set to close on Fri. afternoon at 2 p.m. Meanwhile, we called Don Towle and over the phone - told us what was available. To make a short story - we bought this van, sight unseen, and picked it up on Sat. morning with Mom! It is a beautiful 2005 Honda Odyssey with only 60K miles. I can't get over it. As we were in the lot Don asked us if we wanted to drive it before we bought it and we said "no" - we trust you. He was trying to explain some of the options to me and I was lost - so many bells and whistles! I reminded him that in the past six years, with my previous three cars - I have had a grand total of $2,850.00 for the purchase price! Simply put - I'm not used to alot of new features. They are sweet! I drove home in the new van while Dan and Mom drove the Civic home. I kept thinking "I can't wait to take a road trip in this!" and wouldn't you know...I unexpectedly did on my way home. I took wrong turn, and ended up in unfamiliary territory making my way home 45 min. after Mom and Dan!
So many people, so many brothers and sisters offering prayers on our behalf - so many circumstances - one very faithful God
For the first time this summer on Thursday evening, Dan and I sat out on the porch that he and a myriad of boys finished right before Caleb's open house. We looked up at the stars and complemented the Lord that made the serene surroundings. We did something that we haven't done in a while. We started to dream again.
The van has symbolized so much more to us than just being a "new" vehicle. It represents a new beginning for us. It represents freedom in some ways - to have transportation available when we've been "shut in's" for many months in the past six years or so, either due to lack of a working car or the money to even put gas in it. It represents God's mercy and kindness in restoring what has been taken away from us. It also to me represents a new lesson. Paul states that he "learned" to be content in all circumstances - whether well fed or hungry - in plenty or in want. I think I've been promoted past Nursery school now. I'm learning what it means to be content in Christ - no matter what your outward circumstances are. As I was talking to Bill after the concert last night, I realized that we really can go back to old cars, uncertain circumstances, etc. We've been there before. I'm just grateful for the reprieve now.
Job is way ahead of me. Paul is so far beyond me in His devotion and service to Christ that I can hardly write my name in the same paragraph as his. But we both love and serve the same Lord and it gives me so much hope for the future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Debbie
Love how you express your heart by your words. Makes me feel connected even with the distance.
Happy about the van. You're an amazing woman.
Love, Beth
Debbie,
I just finished reading all of your posts, and I am nearly speachless. You have such a testimony to God's faithfulness, and it is SUCH an encouragement to me at this time in my life. Things are not good financially with my family, as my mom hasn't been able to work for around 5 years now. My dad pays the mortgage payment, and gives mom and I $400 a month (which is a blessing), but I am trying to work 32 hours a week (with a non-profit organization) and go to school full time, and go through college without student loans (I'm in my last year, and I've done it so far!). Long story short, times are very hard for us too, and it has been really encouraging to read about God's faithfulness through your trials. Thanks so much for sharing this with me, I'll be looking forward to your next post!
Post a Comment