Friday, June 20, 2008

The First Day of Summer!

According to my calendar - today marks the first day of summer.
Already, I am enjoying it immensely. I am on my screened in porch, watching and listening to the myriad of wildlife outside. Hopefully, the oriole's will show up again this morning. I've already watched the blue jays, sparrows and of course, our silly cats. We also have a baby squirrel that I am waiting on. The trees are vivid shades of green, our pool is a crystal clear turquoise and the sky is a soft mix of blues and whites swirled together. ahhh...it is summer.

Firsts can be really fun. The first time I rode a bike I thought I was pretty big stuff. Anticipation culminated in a diploma as I walked down the gymnasium floor and graduated from high school. The first time I met my Dan in the college bookstore and we had a short conversation I was totally "twitter-paited" -which happens to be my favorite word from the movie "Bambi". (..."so...I see we're in Bible Literature together...what kind of notebook are you going to buy?....?" while I was thinking...This guy is awesome!!!! I hope we are sitting together!)
The first time he kissed me, the first time he said he loved me, the first time I walked down the aisle in my bridal gown and my eyes met his. Less than a year later, the first time I held my first born son. The first time we paid cash for a brand new car, the first time we signed the papers as homeowners (we bought a run down house at an auction for $12,500K! ) Firsts are something you never forget, no matter how old you are. I like firsts.

No comments: