In August of 2005, Dan and I had a difficult decision to make.
He was still actively trying to get more work in to pay off our debt...and an interesting potential project came up. Our decision was: do we risk making a trip down to Atlanta to meet the potential client - with little money and a weary car (our 1994 Ford escourt wagon, "Penelope "- was beginning to show her age.) Or...do we let this great opportunity pass?
After praying and considering all of our options - we decided to go for it. Dan made the arrangements for the meeting, we pooled what money that we had available, packed the car, and headed out to hot Atlanta. I was very nervous about whether Penelope would make the trip through the mountains - but we both had peace about our decision to go. I jokingly said we may have to sell her old body in the mountains!
We have always enjoyed traveling together. We generally try to visit a wide array of topics that we've been putting off - until we have a few quiet hours together. (A hard commody for us to come by with 8 kids). We were genuinely enjoying the trip - until we entered the eight lane traffic surrounding the Atlanta area. I don't know if you've ever driven in eight lanes of traffic - but I'd rather have a root canal than do that. I don't like alot of traffic when I'm driving. I'm famous for always taking the back roads and avoiding the highways like the plague. As I kept talking myself through the drive - I noticed that the back wind shield was clouding up. Odd - we'd never had that happen before. Before long, Dan had diagnosed the problem - we were losing transmission fluid , and fast. Every exit sign we made it past seemed like a great victory lap! We had appx. 40 miles to go to make it to Dan's first meeting.
By the grace of God and against many odds:
1. I didn't panic and wreck.
2. We made it to our destination!
We LITERALLY coasted (not drove - ) into the parking lot, and then Penelope died.
It was sad. But we were elated!!! Dan had his meeting with a millionaire(again - literally) who had flown there in his own jet. I was priviledged to meet this man too - what a great guy. The meeting went well and we were so thankful to have made it. Our next decision - what do we do with our broken car sitting in the parking lot? I found out that my AAA membership had JUST expired two weeks prior. Oh man!!! I called them anyway - told them our situation - and they informed us they were on the way.
Car towed, back in our hotel room that night - Dan was preparing for perhaps the most important business meeting of his life. It was exhilerating and terrifying at the same time. We spoke on the phone to a good friend of ours - and she offered her undying support and encouragement for the day ahead. The next morning as I looked at him, all dressed up in suit and tie, I couldn't help but think of how the Lord had miracuously brought us to this point. We wanted to have a quick time in the Word before he left, so as he finished getting ready I flipped open my "Light For My Path" topical bible verse book. I opened to the chapter listed under God's Guidance, and the first verse I read was to him was this:
"I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them."
Isaiah 42:16
Since Dan has been legally blind since 1983, we both took great encouragement from the verse and forged ahead into the day, expecting to esperience the Lord in yet a new way.
To make a long story short: Dan's meeting went well, but there was no immediate commitment for the project. We retrieved our beloved Penelope from the radiator shop, and hoped and prayed for a safe trip home. The technition told us to keep fluids on board, and stop often to refill the radiator tank.
We were crusing through Tennessee when we noticed the first signs of car failure. We pulled off and again, coasted into a parking lot! This time the establishment belonged to "Turbo Towing and Rental". The assessment of Penelope wasn't good. It now appeared that we had transmission problems as well. Thankfully, this shop offered us a chance to slow down and sit. We were both weary from the trip, and wanting desperately to get home to the kids. The men at the shop were entertaining and friendly, and Dan commented that the only thing missing from this picture was a three legged dog ! A few hours later, we decided to sell the owner our car for $500 (which he would send to us upon receipt of our title) - try to locate a rental car- and head for home. It's really amazing to be so dependent upon God. Because of our poor credit, we have been unable to use credit cards for years. For most people, this would be a simple solution: charge your credit card with a rental - and head home! But as we've come to experience, life isn't so simple when you are literally struggling financially to make it each week. Thankfully, we have an awesome daughter named Danielle who has consistently allowed us to borrow money from her! After calling her, she transferred some money into our debit account, and we set about finding a rental.
The timing of everything continued to be impeccable! We JUST made the phone call to the rental office before they closed, the finance' of one of the shop workers was able to drive us the 20 miles to pick up our rental, and again - we were on our way home.
(and guess what! As we prepared to say farewell to Penelope, Dan took a picture of me beside her. Who should appear, but a very friendly three-legged dog, tail wagging -ready to escourt us off the property! Also as we pulled out, the owner came up to us, and pulled out $500 cash from his shirt pocket. He said...'You know - you don't need a whole lot of time to figure out whether someones a good person or not. Just send me the title when you get home." I still have this gentleman's address and signature in my collection of beloved things!)
As we recounted the incredible events of the previous two days, we couldn't help but laugh. The Lord had faithfully prepared our way and cared for us as only He can!
Then, just a few hours from home, we witnessed the aftermath of one of the most horrific car accidents I have ever seen. A van was literally ripped in half, and several bodies were in the median with sheets over them. Traffic opposite from us was backed up for hours. As we later learned, a semi truck had entered opposing traffic, and had killed an entire family. Times like these have served to keep Dan and I reminded of what is really important in life. Financial strain is tough, but it is NOTHING compared to what some people endure. We arrived home exhausted, sober, excited to see our kids, but most of all: grateful.
The next afternoon I was telling my friend about some of the events that the Lord had graciously brought us through, and I said..."It's like we're learning to live on "daily bread" from the Lord. My comments used to be that the Lord is getting us through - week by week - but now I realize how dependent we are upon Him, each and every day." She instantly responded: "Well, there is the title for the journal that you've been writing and telling me about!"
"Living on Daily Bread" initially started out as a journal of the ways God provided for us monitarily. But it has emerged into so much more. More importantly in the years to follow, I learned that I couldn't survive a day without God's written and living Word. He literally has "spoken" to me - with words of comfort, reproof, correction and encouragement - and these words have given me the strength to go on.
I'm excited about compiling this journal of mine! May it someday serve to encourage yet another weary soul to press on with God, and forever remain as a written testimony and praise to my precious Lord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment