This week I am in quite a predicament.
Wanting to be the best manager of my home that I can possibly be, I've decided to have a Garage Sale to motivate me to really clean out each room. One of my sons is graduating from College soon, and we want to host an open house for him in a few weeks. Having a "deadline" to get things in order - is usually what I need to get moving. Even with the best of intentions, these things can be over whelming - but when it is all done and you look at a freshly cleaned and sorted house (and you hopefully have alittle money in your pocket from your sales - ) I believe most people look back and say "it was worth it!". But I'm not looking back yet - the sale is next week - so I need motivation to finish this task.
As I've sorted piles upon piles of clothes, dirty closets and corners, I've had some time to really think this week. One of the things I have been remembering is how the Lord has helped me to "use what is in my hand" when I've been down or discouraged about where we are financially. So many times we have these grand plans for what we want to do: We want to accomplish this or that - and yet if we look at our surroundings/talents/circumstances objectively, we will realize that we don't have the resources to truly do that thing.
Just this week, I opened the refrigerator and quickly threw together dinner with what I had on hand. It actually was quite good! I added a little bit of refried beans, some salsa, fresh cilantro -
a bit of corn, and we had a hearty meal. Not long ago, I made "soup" with the leftovers in the frige - and even I was impressed with this chowder concoction! Instead of multiple trips to the grocery store, I learned to look in my freezer and pantry, and be creative with our meals. It has been great seeing a completely organized freezer.
This whole discipline of using "what I have in my hand" has really opened my eyes to new possibilities that I may have otherwise over-looked, and not just in the food arena.
A few summers ago, I was longing to go to the Nursery and purchase some new plants to update our landscaping. There was no money for that - so instead, I cleaned out our paint closet in the basement and found that I had enough stain to spruce up the front porch flooring and railing. I also had many plants that I could "split", so I added lots of new growth around the property that way.
Sending cards is one of my favorite things to do - so I designed home made-cards using some reprints of my old photos and some cardstock. (cost: about .25!) Some of the photo's are funny, and some are just nostalgic so my family and friends enjoy them.
Going through our closets was another adventure. Pairing shirts with different pants and skirts gave me a new look, without spending a dime!
A few years ago, I wanted to encourage some of the young moms at our church - so the Lord gave me the idea of having them to our home for an evening of pampering. I made an inexpensive meal and set a pretty table with my best dishes. The girls and I did a song to sign language for them to enjoy. I set out all my unused home school supplies, games, toys, etc. for them to go through and take home. Then Candy, Danielle, Abby and I gave them manicures and pedicures while they were able to relax and laugh with each other. It was so much fun, and cost so little! I'll never forget that special evening. I learned through this that the Lord will enable you to serve, if you are just willing to use what He has given you! Stop looking around at every one elses talents (wishing you could sing, or teach, or whatever...) and just start using the gifts and talents that He has personally given to you!
I figured out that I could teach a class or two at the Co-Op, and essentially pay for my other kids classes.
A few weeks ago, a close friend of mine was having minor surgery. Wanting to help her, I told her that the girls and I had time to make her a few dinners for her freezer - and then added: "By the way - can I have ten dollars to buy the food to make these meals?" We both laughed. I wanted to use what I had "in my hand" (time..but no extra money this week!)
Most recently, in cleaning our house for the garage sale - I've moved alot of furniture. Several rooms have a new look now! Wanting to spruce up our bedroom (so Dan and I could have a peaceful place to retreat to in the evenings...) we rearranged it, added a bookcase and small table from downstairs, bought a very few accents (candles, a couple new pictures, a pillow and a lamp) and now we have a peaceful, organized and clean "new" room.
I think that learning to use what we have on hand encourages contentment. The Lord has already given us everything that we need! It also brings out some creativity in us, and gives us a sense of accomplishment even if we don't have the means to go out and buy alot of new things.
So....what do you have "in your hand" today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment