Thursday, May 8, 2008

Full Circle

Yesterday I was at work when I received two phone calls.

The first one was business: I have a yearly review by Carestar next week - the agency that I work for. The second one was more exciting! For months now, we have been awaiting word on whether Dan would get this work project in Texas. (there are actually TWO projects he has been working towards and hoping to get. They are actually located 6 miles from each other, in the same town in Texas. How ironic is that?) We are learning what it actually means to be patient - something you'd think a 46 yr. old has learned by now. Every so often (well, almost every day...) I'd ask Dan: "so...have you heard anything from Texas?" Every time, his unemotional response was the same: "You'll be the first to know".

True to his word, I was the first to know. It looks like he has landed BOTH of them! One is almost certain, the second is a close runner up. We are grateful beyond words! I honestly cannot even put into words the emotion that is running through me. It was all I could do to be a normal human being at work last night! I told my client the good news, as she and I have become pretty good friends this year, and after her congratulations and well wishes we went back to the normal routine. Inside - I was about busting at the seams though! I am so proud of my Dan. I am so grateful to my Lord!

Last night we had champagne. mmm...... it was wonderful sitting with my buddy and dreaming!

This morning, I wanted to read a Psalm of praise to the Lord - and so I flipped open to my favorite: Psalm 34. I don't know why I hadn't realized it before, but the day this Psalm became alive to me was noted in the margins of my Bible: Sept. 11, 2001. While Dan and I were on board a Royal Caribbean Cruise for our Anniversary, the twin towers fell. The whole day was surreal for us - the captain of the ship remained calm and reported the incidents as they were unfolding. Later the next day, reality really hit as some of the passengers on board realized that their co-workers back in New York probably were gone. We had a Memorial Service led by the captain. That is a service I will never forget, nor will I ever forget that feeling of helplessness that I had. We were way out in the Atlantic Ocean - our fellow Americans were suffering a loss like no other, and our kids were miles from us at home with friends and family.

I suppose that is why the words of King David in this Psalm meant so much to me.
"The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and He delivers them.....
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." vs. 7, 18

So here we are - almost seven years later - and these verses are still speaking clearly to me! Looking back, 9/11 was the beginning of our financial crisis. Yet today, we are once again given hope that the Lord is able to restore what has been destroyed in our lives. Even if Dan didn't get these projects, I'm finally learning the simple truth that God is still good....all the time....despite any circumstances that He has allowed. No, He is MORE than good - He is higher than anything else, holier than even our best imagination of Him, and more loving, faithful and merciful than words can ever describe.

"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all." vs. 19
Amen - thank you for your promises Lord!

1 comment:

jennifermariefrederick said...

I finally figured out how to comment on here! It wouldn't let me comment unless I set up a blogspot account.. so I did it and here I am.

I am SO excited to hear the good news.. I can't imagine how thrilled you guys must be. Horray! God is so good.

Looking forward to seeing you tonight. love you!

-- Jen