The October winds have started to blow stripping some of our trees of their golden colors. I know that Winter is around the corner, but for now I am relishing the scents, feel and sight of Fall.
Years ago I wrote our family Christmas letter with a "season" theme. We experience each season in our own lives, even though they come at unexpected times, as opposed to the predictable seasons listed on our calendars hanging on our walls. Some Seasons are beautiful, much like Spring. There may be days or months full of hope, new growth and anticipation for the warmer times ahead. Yet we all must endure those cold, dark and long times that I associate with Winter. The death of a friend or family member, the trial of a relationship gone bad or watching helplessly as a child turns their back on God. Just like the ice that forms and the howling, cold winds that accompany it - it sometimes feels like it will never end. Summer is full of fresh produce, blooming flowers and herbs. We swim and play alot, getting up late and going to bed way past our normal bedtimes. The kids love to lay out on the trampoline and gaze at the stars, sometimes even staying most of the night out there. We can usually slip away for a short vacation on Dad's Lake, enjoying my parents and our friends up North. We begin to turn our attention toward the upcoming school year - planning ahead and feeling ever so hopeful that this year we may actually "get it done!" (My friends and I laugh that the home schooling motto should be: "Well...there's always NEXT year!")
Everyone has their favorite season of course, and mine happens to be Fall. It is almost like it happens overnight. Dan and I will comment on the sky looking like an "Autumn sky". Thanksgiving is just around the corner and it is, in my opinion! the best holiday. The temperatures are cooler in the morning and I find myself making more coffee and tea. The evenings close in quicker, lending themselves to more reading or watching movies. I enjoy going on walks and bike rides so we can enjoy the changing color of the leaves plus enjoy the cooler breeze. (and I've missed that greatly with this stupid sprained ankle of mine.) A couple times a week now there will be the smell of simmering soup and sometimes sour-dough bread. I have a few new recipes to add to our old favorites: Spicey Chicken Tortilla (thanks to Dennis Goodwin!) and Corn Chowder have joined the list of our "favorites" - Mixed Bean, Cream of Broccoli and Vegetable. We begin to get ready for the cold months ahead, trying to finish projects that we began in the spring and summer. For me, I enjoy this time of looking back and yet anticipating what is ahead.
I'm very much in a "Fall" mood today. I look around me and appreciate so much:
*The consistent checks from Dan's company that have enabled us to stay current on our bills.
*I am observing some "harvest" of sorts in the lives of our kids: (some of their "gifts" are emerging plus the "seed" we planted in them is helping some of them mature spiritually...I cling to the promise where God says "His Word shall not return void")
*My buddy and I are appreciating more of the simple things in life: A movie, dinner and walk together; a portrait of our family taken on the bridge he built; an evening of popcorn and a taped episode of "Planet Earth" together...
*Especially recently, I have appreciated the dedicated service of our men and women in the armed forces. (I should take the time to write them all an "open" letter. I know they are not forgotten, but they are often not thanked.) I look around at some of the destitute situations in other countries and I am humbled at the freedom we have here.
I'm looking back and yet anticipating what lies ahead.
Even appreciating these few things, I've decided that I take WAY too many things for granted. I expect that Dan will always be here and that we will continue to enjoy each other and our relatively good health. I expect that our home will continue to withstand the storms around here and not be damaged. That burst of wind left over from the Hurricane on Sept. 14th showed me how quickly things can be damaged or even ruined. I expect that I will continue to have my kids around us and that we will have great relationships among ourselves. I expect that our church family will continue to thrive and do well. I expect that our new President will work tirelessly to protect our borders and keep us safe. I expect that life, as I know it now, will continue.
That may not be the case. The only consistent thing that I have come to know about is Jesus Christ. He is the same "yesterday, today and forever." I'm glad that He doesn't change like the Seasons. I pray that we can all learn t0 not take HIM for granted, but that we will be ever mindful of His mercies that are "new, every morning". It doesn't matter what season of life we are going through: Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. He is there with us He meets us each and every morning! I look forward to His coming...more so it seems each passing day. Even so come, Lord Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Aw... great post Debbie! You know that paragraph about taking things for granted.. I do that so much too. I always just assume that things will be the way they are and we will all be here and be healthy. I'm always thinking, "Someday we're going to do xxxx and yyyy" and I never stop to think how different God's plan is for us and who knows if Funnel or I will even be there then. You are so right about Jesus Christ always being the only consistant thing. This week I had a moment where I realized that Jesus is the only one who loves us perfectly, the way we yearn to be loved. :)
hey tacosalad!
thanks for your sweet comment - even for reading my ramblings. It always does me good to stop and remember who is really in control, and how blessed we are because of that.
love you and your funnel!
Post a Comment